Re: Bending TR wheels?

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Bending TR wheels?
From: Rod Knox <rknox@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 09:45:08
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Neta>
I had 4 of my wheels straightened before putting on new rubber. Most places
I contacted said "those pressed steel rims are worthless, throw them out."
The only place that would straighten and guarantee them was Big O Tires, on
Quadra St. near Johnson. They said the cause of the bending was, as you
mentioned, breaking the bead improperly. The one they use is for magnesium
wheels and gently presses down on both sides, pushing on more than 50% of
the rubber. After straightening the balance was near perfect. Only one tiny
weight on each wheel.

At 11:52 AM 9 / 4 / 98 -0700, you wrote:

>I was warned about buying TR6 wheels, as they might be bent, due to a tire
>shop breaking the bead "the wrong way".

Rod Knox
1967 TR4A - CT 67907
owned 23 years