Newsletter Editors / Publishers

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Newsletter Editors / Publishers
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:37:59 -0700
Listers,

        For the last couple of years, our club has had the
luxury of having our newsletter printed at my place of
employment.  I would design the layout at home,
create the electronic file and hand it off to the Docutech
people.  They would print out the copies and I would
assemble and distribute from home.

        As a "not for profit" organization, our club gladly
agreed to insert an advertisement for the company who
did the printing in exchange for the monthly publication.
We also gave the printing company a plaque during our
year end awards ceremony.  Because the club is a non
profit organization, the cost of the materials and labor
involved to produce the newsletter was eligible to be
written off as a tax deduction by my employer.
Whether they took advantage of this, I am unaware,
not being privy to the year end balance sheets.

        Basically, all parties stood to benefit.

        Alas, this will all come to an end as of October 2,
as I have accepted a position with another firm.
Unfortunately, this firm is not equipped with the same sort of
copying capabilities.  I am reluctant to ask my old firm to
continue our current arrangement as it all started due to
my being a long term, trusted employee.

My questions (FINALLY) are, how do you other
editors/publishers/clubs handle your newsletter?
Do you have the costs underwritten by a benevolent
corporate entity?  Is the printing done at an outside
quick print  house?  What sort of budget constraints
does your club have in place for this?

        Please respond directly to me, off list, as the last
informal listwide poll/question I posed caused quite a bit of
friction with the Clinton "apology"....let's not go there again

Thanks in advance,

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA