TR4 waterpump ?'s, pulley needed & discoveries (long)

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 waterpump ?'s, pulley needed & discoveries (long)
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 00:40:29 -0700
Listers,

The most recent restoration saga continues....

I think I'm in the market for a water pump pulley for the ole TR4...
removed the ancient belt and found a chunk missing out of the pulley,
who knows how long it's been gnawing on the back of the belt.

The reason I'm not sure is because I may instead be in the market for a
complete water pump, which may or may not come with a pulley.

I would appreciate your input on the various options: 1. rebuild the
existing pump (stock, but without the grease zerk, also would it be
useful to drill and tap that grease fitting during rebuild?), to include
locating a replacement pulley. 2. replace waterpump with original style
(removable pulley), to include locating a replacement pulley. 3. replace
complete unit along with type that uses a pressed on, non-removable
pulley. ???

Gutted the cars interior including removing tons of stuff that was
stored there by the DPO (me). Found a few interesting things. Has anyone
out there ever seen a fibreglass front spoiler for a TR4? Not sure the
car is ready for ground effects. Haven't found a whale tail, yet. Nor
have I found the SU carbs. Did find a spare windshield, original sun
visors, Volvo seatbelts? Hmmm. I feel like an archeologist opening an
Egyptian tomb!

In the process of removing the heater, found a dealer installed speaker
up under the dash, inside a metal box, doubt it's a Bose.

Speaking of the heater.. the outer casing was badly warped, to the point
where the flap wouldn't move, I thought probably from getting kicked
from below by a passenger, possibly in an accident. Took it apart and
found the core ends had apparently expanded (from overheating?). I used
a plastic mallet to "reshape" it and got it all back together, but it's
questionable if it will spring a leak under pressure. Anyone else have
this experience? The heater serves little purpose in N. Calif. anyway,
so I'm not rushing to reinstall.

Pulled out the demister/fresh air/heater vents and opened scuttle access
covers. Found several apparently factory "installed" loose bolts and
washers bouncing about in there. One rattle solved. Also some surface
rust. Any suggestions on refinishing the inside of the scuttle? Anyone
make a mini robotic spray gun with fibreoptic viewing device?

Also discovered signs of yet another accident (tally is now 3) after
peeling upholstery. Right rear inner fender was (decently) replaced at
some point with a signal red one. I got badly rear-ended ("totalled",
per insurance co.) in the same corner myself once by a DUI, but all
repairs were done without discovering that wasn't the first time. These
are durable little cars!

Back to the garage... I'll let you know what else I find! In advance,
thanks for any comments and shared wisdom on the above questions.

Alan Myers
San Jose, CA
'62 TR4 #CT17602

--