Spit: hard starting when hot

To: TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit: hard starting when hot
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:45:47 -0400
I need help with a hard starting problem in my 1980 Spitfire.

After cleaning and replacing gaskets on my carb this summer in an
attempt to eliminate a problem of cutting out under load, I finally
accomplished the "fix" by straightening the tab on the float carrier
to prevent the fuel valve from being closed off before the bowl was
full.  It has run great since, but I now have to confess that I somehow
introduced a new problem.  The car starts each morning without
difficulty, but if I drive it for awhile and get it hot and then stop,
it is verrry hard to get it started again--sometimes impossible.  If it
sits for about an hour or so, it is okay.  Is it possible that I have
overcorrected and allowed overfilling of the bowl with flooding of
the carb?  There is no hint of such a problem while running; the plugs
look good with a light brown color.

My only other hypothesis is that I somehow messed up the setting on
the deceleration valve.  Can that have an effect at startup?  Of
course I do have the automatic choke, but I've got that set just as
it was before taking everything apart.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim Gaines