TR6 alternator problems persist

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 alternator problems persist
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:52:12 -0700
Let me first thank Brian Kemp and Dan Masters for their helpful  advice
which I used last night on my TR6.

Here's what I did:

Checked the indicator light by grounding it with the ignition on.  The bulb
lit.  Connected brown/green back  to alternator and turned ignition back
on.  The bulb did not light.

Measured battery voltage with engine off.  Got about 14 volts.  Started
engine and remeasured.  Got about 14 volts.

Could not perform any test using directionals, horn, lights, heater, etc.
I'm installing a new loom and have only connected what should be the
starting and charging circuits, plus the gauges, tach and speedo.

Removed black plastic cover from alternator and looked at wires connected
to rectifier and regulator.  I found a discrepancy between that and what is
on the VTR web site.  My alternator has an orange wire to the "IND" plate
and a red wire from the regulator to the rectifier.   The latter is
connected to a secondary plate in the rectifier.  However, unlike the VTR
diagram, the Main "+" and "+" or "S" plate is the bottom of the three
plates!  I don't know if this makes a difference or not but it looks like
the new rectifier that was installed in my alternator has the bottom two
plates  reversed.  My electrical connector on the wiring loom is setup such
that the large wire is supposed to be connected to the middle plate. (The
small wire connects to the "IND" terminal)  As it is now, I'm only making a
connection at the IND terminal.  I move the large wire over one slot on the
loom connector so that it would mate up the third plate and started the
car.  The ind light came on but still got no charge at the ammeter.  (Using
a lamp tester, I have current at both sides of the ammeter)

If is wasn't for having sunk $70 into this alternator, I would chuck it in
the bin and install a GM unit.  But now my ire is up and I am bound and
determined to make this Lucas unit work - at least long enough to ease the
pain of shelling out $70!

If anyone has more to contribute, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Dave,
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6