Re: Polishing SU suction chamber cover

To: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>, "\"Triumph\" <Triumphs@autox.team.net" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Polishing SU suction chamber cover
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TRSix@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:49:55 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Back in May, I sent the list the following email regarding polishing the
dashpots. It might be worth a "repost"

It's probably one of the cheapest and easiest things you can do. I have a
bench grinder but you can also use a hand drill, drill press or dremel tool.
I bought 2 buffing wheels for my Bench grinder - 1 was coarse (i.e. spiral
bound) and 1 was loose (i.e. not spiral bound) at Sears for about $5 each. I
also got both the red and white buffing compound sticks - $2 each. Total
outlay $14. Remove the covers  and wash them to remove dirt, oil etc. Put
the compound on the coarse wheel and buff away. Shine it with a cloth. Put
compound on the loose wheel and buff away again. Do another final shine with
a cloth. You could use a lambswool buffing wheel for the final shine but I
didn't have one. The compound does get stuck in the letters on the cover so
I use Gloop hand cleaner and a soft plastic bristle brush to scrub it clean.
I also think you only need the red compound.  I didn't put any kind of final
protective spray on as it was so easy to clean that I'd probably touch it up
once or twice a year.
Bob Danielson
75 TR6 - status at
http://pages.cthome.net/BobD