Strange Paint

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Strange Paint
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 23:48:11 +0100
Hello, all.

Any paint experts out there?

I polished my 2.5 PI (Colour#68, Slate) for a show in May. Since then, it
has been in daily use, washed and leathered dry weekly and left standing
outside.

We had a bit of strong sunshine in July-when the sun appears in the UK, we
put on fur loincloths and dance around worshipping it.
I found that the paint had assumed a chalky appearance, worse on the
horizontal bits than on the sides. There were also brush marks in the
chalking from where I had washed the car.

The finish wasn't so bad as to need T-Cut so I brought it back to a good
gloss with a brisk, heavy application of Autoglym resin Polish (red label).
This brought off a fair bit of blackish-grey deposit. I have further
protected the car with Autoglym Super Resin Protectant (gold label). the car
has been repainted in what appears to be 2 pack, judging by the areas where
the car has been touched in with a brush.

Anyone got any comments on these theories.....?

(1.) The paint is duff and the sun has found it out.

(2.) I shouldn't have used cheap car wash shampoo.

(3.) I shouldn't have used cheap polish.

(4.) Atmospheric pollutants have had a go at the paint.

Incidentally, the PI has now been promoted to best car and lives in the
garage now. Somebody gave me a Peugeot 309 to toddle around in.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Hill, UK.