Re: TR6 alternator problems - more info

To: dstauffa@csc.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 alternator problems - more info
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:16:10 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-09 14:14:24 EDT, dstauffa@csc.com writes:

> I have a three wire
>  connector but only two wires in it:  a large brown/white and a small
>  brown/yellow.  This is a new wiring loom and that's the way it came.  I do
>  have this single brown wire that runs paralled to the above two wires but
>  does connect to anything.  What is the purpose of this single brown wire?
>  It is relevant?

Dave,

The third wire may be relevent, or it may not be. I know that isn't a very
good answer, but given the variety in the various Lucas alternators, that's
the best I can do.

All alternators need three wires (plus ground). On the earlier TR6 Lucas
units, there were five, but three of them were, in reality, the same wire. On
one of the Lucas units I have in my work shop, there are three connectors, but
two of them are connected together inside the case, so that only two wires are
needed.

Check your alternator to see if the unused connector is not connected to the
large brown wire connector, inside the case. If it is, you don't need the
extra wire. If not, then it should be connected to the unused plug connector.

If you have any doubts as to how it should be connected, take it to the shop
that repaired it, and see how they connect it on the bench. If they connect up
three wires, then you will need to also.

The large brown wire is the main charging lead, and ultimately connects to the
battery. The smaller brown wire is the sensing lead, and it too ultimately
connects to the battery. Since both wires ultimately connect to the battery,
they can be connected together just about any where, even inside the
alternator.

The brown/yellow wire is for the indicating lamp.

If you don't use the extra brown wire, be sure to isolate the end, as it will
be hot all the time.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74