Emissions Missouri Style (TR6)

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Emissions Missouri Style (TR6)
From: Brian Ricker <brianr@mvp.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 20:50:50 -0500
Triumphant ones (especially St Louis area),
    I am trying to get my TR6 registered in Missouri. Since I
line in the St. Louis metro area, I must pass emissions testing
as part of state inspection process. In preparation for this I
did the following:

1. Checked timing (has Crane Electronic ignition so no points to worry
about)
2. Leaned both carbs approximately 1/3 turn from balanced mixture (i.e.
if pistons
    are lifted RPM drops).
3. Installed 195 deg thermostat.

After all of this the results were:

Unburned HC     Meas: 2204  Limit: 700
CO %                Meas: 10.4% Limit 7.00%

In Missouri if you fail twice you can get a low-emission tune up and a
waiver.
I took it to a tire place for the inspection assuming incorrectly that
they would
fail it twice, charge me $50 for a set of plugs and give me a waiver.
They wanted
nothing to do with the car and suggested a "foreign" car place. I
checked this place
out and it is indeed a shop which specializes in foreign cars if made in
Ohio Hondas
counts. To be fair I haven't talked to anyone there yet. The plus side
is that they
are an inspection station as well so if they will do the tune-up part I
might be okay.

Conditions of the car:
1. It burns oil. I know, rings, valve guides, seats. I am pulling the
engine this winter.
2. It has a "hunting idle". I imagine that the carbs are leaking air and
probably could
stand a rebuild.
3. The car runs well and pulls strongly.

The questions I have are:
1. Is there anything else I can do to try to make the car pass? (I don't
think I have enough
room to play with reducing the emissions by 2/3rds).
2. Does anybody in the St Louis area have a recomendation of a place to
take it to
get through the inspection/waiver process?

Thanks in advance,
Brian Ricker
70 TR6 CC56818L