Differential Input Slop

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Differential Input Slop
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 23:44:17 -0400
Listers -

My Herald has a clunk. It's at wheel speed - one clunk per rotation of
the rear wheels, so it's probably the ancient UJ on one or the other
axle.

But in the course of investigating, I noticed what I consider a lot of
play in the differential. With the parking brake set, the gearbox in
neutral, there's about 20 degrees of radial play in the propshaft (UK) /
driveshaft (US). This seems excessive to me - the pinion gear has 9
teeth, so they're separated by 40 degrees, so half of this is slop!?. Am
I being paranoid, or should I plan on a new ring and pinion gear?

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald