TR4 - SU carb float adjustment

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 - SU carb float adjustment
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:58:22 -0400
Hi,

While cleaning the carb pistons last night, I noticed that
the fuel level in the front carb was much higher than in
the rear.  Aha! I thought, this may help explain the intermittent
afterrun I still have.  After opening the float bowls I discovered
that the front float has only 1/16" clearance, but its not
adjustable.  The float and hinge are all one plastic piece.  The
rear carb's float has a metal tab that you can bend to adjust
the float level.

Two questions:

1) How important is this level?
2) Could it explain the tendency of the car to run on?

Thanks,

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L