List Observations (probably pretty boring)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: List Observations (probably pretty boring)
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:38:31 -0500
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
I just wanted to point out a few things to the list members at large.

Ten years ago when I started the rebuild of my spitfire I was more or
less going it alone.  I was more or less new to rebuilding and
restoration and really felt lost at times.  When you couple that with the
fact that 10 years ago finding replacement or reproduction parts for a
spitfire was pretty much impossible, where as today we have the
internet.  They just didn't make anything back then and those things
that were made were quite frequently junk. I still remember ordering
replacement door panels from VB back in 91.  I was expecting
something that looked close to original.  Not a chance, all they ended
up being was a piece of masonite with vinyl glued to it.  Didn't fit the
door and looked like crap.  To put it mildly it was a pretty frustrating
experience.

Now advance the clock about 10 years to november 97.  Some how or
other I ran across Joe Curry's email address while searching for
spitfires on the internet.  After a couple of chats with him he turned me
onto the Triumphs list (thanks Joe).  Talk about the difference
between night and day.  WOW.  All of a sudden I went from
stumbling around in the dark looking for answers to having
everything right at my finger tips.  I can only say that the help that I've
received, the people that I've come to know and the ability to find the
parts that I need to complete a project is just fantastic.  When I picked
up my latest project, a TR4 on thursday and posted a request for parts
and advise I've been inundated with all kinds of assistance.  I can
already tell that this project is going to be a bit more fun than the
spitfire was.  Not that I didn't enjoy the spitfire rebuild but at times
while rebuilding it I was lost as to where to get the next part or what to
do with a part that I had.

My goal now is to get this TR4 ready to drive and hopefully drive it to
the VTR event in Maine next summer.  I keep hearing about how few
TR4's there are that show up at these events.  Well with any luck there
will be one more next year <G>.

Sorry if this was boring, I guess this is just my way of saying
THANKS to everyone out there.  Everyone of you is what makes this
list so unique.

Thanks

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
196? TR4                CT????L (Chassis 0281CT, Engine CT405E)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Spring shackle problems)