rechroming vs repros

To: gprtech@frontiernet.net
Subject: rechroming vs repros
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:32:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Hmm. Does anyone on the list have a reproduction TR bumper on their car?
> If so, what do you think of the quality?

George-
I have both front and rear repros on my TR6. Front came with the car,
rear I bought from Moss. Quality is very low on both, rear worse than
front, centerbar worse than sidebars. Chrome is cheap and easily
scratched and the metal is wavy and thus reflected in the chrome finish.
However, the undented repros were a lot cheaper than a good restoration
of the original with good chrome ( I hear cheapo re-chroming  just isn't
worth it ) at like about half the cost or less. For my car, this is just
fine. For concourse or anything close ( not in my future) I think I
would be unhappy with the repros.

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6