Re[2]: TR6: Timing Woes (progress update)

To: "Jack R. Clark" <drjclark@mindspring.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: TR6: Timing Woes (progress update)
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:31:33 -0400

Listers,
I set the timing using a strobe at 12 degrees BTDC. Runs and idles much
smoother. However, when accelerating the car "stumbles" until either I
depress the gas pedle at a faster rate, or floor it. I have presently
removed the carbs for a rebuild, maybe the problem will "work its way out"
I hope.

Any ideas? (oh yeah, the dashpots have plenty of oil)

Thanks,
Jack 74 TR6 CF23352

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak.  If your stumble is at idle or initial
acceleration and not at load conditions then it may be a vacuum leak (do the
carburetor cleaner spray test at the carburetor linkage shafts, manifold, and
the breather and vacuum hoses).  Vacuum leaks are most evident at idle speeds
when their contribution to the total air being drawn is a higher percentage than
when you are drawing large amounts of air at load conditions.

You might want to do is to check out the Vintage Triumph Registry (VTR) website
(http://www.vtr.org) and look in the Maintenance Handbook, under Fuel System:
Adjusting the Carburetors article.   It endorses the sequence that I've gleaned
from the good folks on this list to check your engine's timing first, ignition
next, then vacuum leaks, and finally the carburetor.  Since you've already reset
your timing to 12 BTDC and have replaced ignition parts your next step IS vacuum
leaks if you choose to follow the suggested order.  Of course you'll have to
have the carbs on to do the vacuum testing.  You might want to do this first a
possibly avoid an unnecessary carburetor rebuild unless they are overdue for it.

Good Luck

Bud 71 TR6 CC57365