Orange TR3's - Was Manchester

To: reagntsj@ricochet.net
Subject: Orange TR3's - Was Manchester
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:15:24 -0400
Cc: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, anthony rondeau <rondeau@neca.com>, paul@hobbytyme.com, 75452.105@compuserve.com, sweisman@gis.net
Alan,

At 06:40 PM 9/14/98 -0700, Alan Myers wrote:
>Henry,
>
>I must confess, when I first purchased it, my TR4 was the same color
>(DPO?). However, it was refered to as "Porsche Orange" in the mid and
>early 70's. Because I kept losing the car in parking lots full of 914's
>& 912's, I repainted the car fairly quickly, but still find traces
>occasionally when I take a part off.

You are the second person since Sunday to claim this "color" was offered by
Triumph. There was another TR3 painted a VERY similar color entered into
the Driver Class at the show in Manchester, and a friend who looked at my
car, and then at the other orange car gave me the same story.

>However, since there are now two cars we know of in this color, is it
>possible the factory produced a few to try the market and just never
>included the color in the paint chips?

Make that 4 cars, but mine is most definately NOT original!

In the case of my car, like many TR3's, it has worn no less than 3 colors!
The BMIHT certificate says the car was originally black, and all the
non-resprayed areas (inside the doors, under dash, etc.) are most
definately black. Then, the car was a decent British Racing Green. Lots of
BRG can be found. In the spare tire compartment, engine bay, door jambs, etc.

Then, it's apparent the car was smacked in the front and back. Major bodges
were comitted in the repairs, one of which was the aforementioned lack of
beading at the rear wing, outboard of the spare tire lid. Apparently, if
was easier to make the seam between the wings and the rear valance go away!
After the nasty bodywork was complete, the car was resprayed with what you
are calling Porsche Orange. (I remember the color on Porches of that era, I
have to keep my eyes open for one to compare.)

>Also, now that we have identified the correct name for the color,
>perhaps we should remount the little tractor engines in the boot and
>convert them to air cooled? ;-)

Don't know when is the last time you looked in the boot of a TR3, Alan, but
I don't have a shoehorn big enough for that project!

I will update the website (finally) today to include a few pictures, so
other listers will have a clue what we are talking about.
 Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
 TR3B   TCF1927 L       Driver
 TR250  CD690 L         Soon to be Driver
 TR250  CD8096 L        Someday Driver
 TR250  CD1074 L        Some Brave Soul Other Than Me
                        Will Make This A Driver!