Re: TR3 gauges wanted

To: coday@localaccess.com
Subject: Re: TR3 gauges wanted
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:18:03 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< It's starting to bother me that the amp and water temperature gauges
 are not the original Jaeger units that would match the rest of the
 instruments.  Does anyone have either or both of these units laying
 around?  Especially looking for the water temperature.  The amp gauge
 is a lucas.  The needle jumps all over the place anytime anything
 electrical occurs, I really can't tell anything about the charging
 system from this lucas gauge, so it has some appeal.  The water
 temperature gauge appears to be a US made unit that just happens to
 fit in, reads very accurately, brightly lit.  It's annoying.  Maybe I
 can find a lucas temperature gauge, more authentic and totally
 useless?

 My TR3 is a 59, TS52320L if that is helpful in matching gauges.

 Thanks,

 Geezer

Geeze
I presume your temp gauge is not original capillary type? All TR3's came with
a rather antiquated temp guage - a flexible tube went from the back of the
gauge, thru the firewall, and into the thermostat housing. It is not electric.
If your car does have this sort of gauge, don't be too upset - the original
types are getting rather rare and pricey. I believe these animals are all
Jaegers.
The ammeter is gonna jump around no matter what type of gauge. It fluctuates
all over with turn signals, brake lights, etc. At constant speed tho' (say
3000 rpm) it should be pretty stable. If not you may have some other gremlins
to deal with.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B