Re: diff vs OD

To: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>, "'paradise@icx.net'" <paradise@icx.net>
Subject: Re: diff vs OD
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:00:04 +1000
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
At 10:18 PM +1000 16/9/98, Janssen, Lee K wrote:
>Bryan Loy wrote:
> I don't have the ele. od. option on my car, so I'm
>running at a pretty high rpm lvl at interstate speeds.(4500@
>70mph.)

This sounds wrong.  It should be about 3500 to 3600 at 70 mph.  Tachometer
may need recalibration.

>Overdrive - either unit can in theory fit any car but I would stick with
>what was normally fitted to avoid installation problems.
>If your car has a commission number before CF/CR1 use an A-type. Works in
>all forward gears giving you an 8 speed tranny and an 18% reduction in rpm

Works in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but not 1st.  Not really 7 forward gears: OD 3rd
and 4th are very close.  You can drive around the suburbs in 3rd and OD 3rd
and on the highways in 4th and OD 4th without changing gears as often.

>When converting from a non OD to a OD tranny you must replace the main shaft
>and you might as well rebuild the whole unit once you have it out.
>Cost is about $1000 to $2500 depending on the work performed and required
>parts (countershaft 1st & reverse gear alone is over $200).

No mention of the Toyota Supra 5 speed conversion?

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U