British Car Meet in Palo Alto California

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: British Car Meet in Palo Alto California
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:27:08 -0700
Cc: cowan@erg.sri.com
I just wanted to pass along some observations about the 20th British Car
Meet in
Palo Alto on 13 September.  There was quite a variety of LBCs (Mini's,
TVRs, Lotus, Morris Minor, ...) and larger BCs (Bentleys, Jags, Land
Rovers...)

Triumphs were well represented.  Although I didn't keep count, I recall a
Triumph 1800, a couple of  Mayflowers and Spitfires (Chris Prugh's dash was
so well done that it would've been at home in a Jag!), a 1200 convertable,
a 2000,
two Stags, 4 wedges (2 each 7s and 8s), about 5 TR3s and a dozen TR6s.  And
most
impressive was Rick Bushong's surrey-topped TR4, which was on the cover of
the
Spring 1998 issue of Moss Motoring.  It is even nore stunning in person.  I
was
personnally gratified to see a rust-bucket TR3, because it made my somewhat
rusty TR6
seem not so bad.  On the whole a nice mixture of very clean cars and daily
drivers.

Of particular interest to this list is that several of "our own" were
honored.
Of the five winning cars (out of the 500+ on the field) three were from
folks on this list!

1. TeriAnn Wakefield's awesome Land Rover won best off road vehicle.  She
said that
she's lived in this vehicle while travelling for 20 of the last 52 weeks
and that
it is very liveable.  It certainly was well equiped!

2. Gary Oehrle (who sometimes frequents the list) and his TR3 accepted the
club-participation award on behalf of the Triumph Travellers Sports Car
Club.
TTSCC had 65 participants.  Gary said this demonstrated the power of
bribery as
TTSCC was having a free dinner for club participants.  (I think I'll be
joining soon.)

3. Best sports car went to Jim Bauder's restoration-in-progress 59 TR3.
Jim has been

working on this frame off project for about a year and arrived with the
chassis, engine,
tranny and wheels assembled on a trailer.  I wonder how many times the show
winner
has needed 8 people to push it to the winner's lineup!
As I am personally more interested in having a car to drive than polishing
a show winner,
I really got a kick out of this result.  I just keep imagining how some of
owners of
pristine "trophy" cars must have felt about it.  A couple of really shiny
Jags come to mind.  No insult intended, however.

All in all it was a great day.  It was good to meet some of the local
listers in person
and to spread the word about this great resource.

Cregg Cowan
71 TR6 daily driver/beater (and the only Saffron vehicle in sight)