TR3 Engine condition....

To: Triumph news group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3 Engine condition....
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:30:43 -0700
I've just finished a night puttering around with the TR3's engine, doing
general tune up stuff. Before starting, I did a compression test on all
4 cylinders.

Now, It's been at least 15 years since I last used this compression
tester, so it's accuracy and my knowledge of it's use are in question.

When turning over the engine, on the first cycle the compression on the
gauge jumped to 100 lbs., then 125 on the next cycle, and then 150,
where it stayed. So what's the actual compression, the first indication
you get or the last? All 4 cylinders read exactly the same, so I'm not
seriously concerned, but I am curious, since the engine has been
sitting  for at least 3 years.

Also, oil pressure: 60lbs. cold at idle, 35 lbs cold after engine warm
up for 30 minutes. Engine temp when hot was about 200 degrees.

By the way, I haven't blocked off the cooling bypass. I figured I check
before and after.

I can also recommend both the Unisyn carb balancer and Colortune kit.
They made a puzzling situation both easy to sort out and actually
interesting. Watching the alteration of combustion color under different
circumstances was extremely educational.
--
George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L - painting and reassembling....