TR6 Thrust Washer Update

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Thrust Washer Update
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:13:52 EDT
Hi,

For those of you who have an interest in my TR6 thrust washer progress, I
thought I'd keep you updated.  I dropped the oil pan last night and found two
thrust washers wallowing in the bottom.  The one that takes the thrust load
from the clutch action has clearly had a rough life, in fact one end had
fractured and broke off approximately 1/4" from the end, I haven't found that
piece yet.  The other washer was lightly scuffed.

This evening I was able to pull the main bearing cap and inspect things.
There is clearly plenty of wear on the loaded side of the journal and on the
face of the cap.  Now for a daring and maybe stupid question.  Since the wear
on the journal face is smooth and not scored, but is somewhat contoured, what
would happen if I were to go ahead and place a new thrust washer in that
position.  Would the new one quickly wear out and cause havock, or would it
possibly wear to a degree but then conform to the face of the journal?  If the
block and crank are beyond repair, then what would it hurt?  I know that I'm
in store for a new engine, but this might work until I can get around to
$$$rebuilding a new engine$$$

Any ideas?

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana