FREE TR3's

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FREE TR3's
From: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:55:22 -0700
Cc: DLHOPEWELL@email.msn.com
Just got back from looking at two TR3's that are yours for the asking. I
went there knowing that they were owner-described as "junkers", but you
never know - thought maybe between the two I might be able to build
something. Not, in my opinion, true. You may feel otherwise, but too
much for me.

Anyway, about 25  miles south of Hartford CT, there are two TR3s,
originally purchased as parts cars. They have been sitting under a tarp,
outside, for several years. Not sure how many, but they have both
settled into the ground up to their hubs - frames are on the ground and
are undoubtedly out for the count. The owner wants to get rid of both
cars and they are free for the asking (Henry, are you listening?).
Observations as follows:

Was able to turn one engine with the crank (barely, but it did move).
Don't know if either transmission has OD, but on one car, there were
three holes in the dash in the neighborhood of where the OD switch is
supposed to be.

One bonnet and one boot lid appear to be salvageable - surface rust, but
straight.

Several chrome parts may be usable (certainly not concours, but should
clean up enough to be serviceable)...door handles, boot latches,
headlite trim rings, knock-offs, rear bumper overriders, license plate
light, tail light assemblies (although the socket is rather corroded,
the lenses and chromed bases appeared good).One front bumper, rather
bent, but I don't think it was kinked and may be restorable. Bonnet/boot
hinges were there, but would need re-chromed.

One radiator may possibly be fixable, the other was shot, but he had a
spare not installed in either car.

Both windshields were broken and the frames bent.

Tub, fenders and doors were beyond hope, I think. Floor pans looked
suspiciously like dirt. Transmission covers were carpeted, so I don't
know their condition.

Three Dzus side curtains (a fourth was wedge-type). Don't know how much
magic TRF can work on these, but there was quite a bit of rust on all
but one of them. Rear plexiglas appeared to be the sliding type. Front
part of side curtain window was flexible, rear-window type material.

Crank and lug wrench there, but quite rusty. Also, boot contained three
brake calipers and a water pump.

Instruments all there on both cars (original with convex lenses, only
one of which was cracked).

Seats there and may be partially restorable. One car had painted wires,
but quite rusty. Hubs? Who knows.

In addition to the cars, he had several publications, all in very good
condition (stored in the house, I presume)...
Bentley manual for TR2/3, 1953-61 (not sure when published, but list
price was $25!)
Standard-Triumph Spare Parts catalog (three ring binder)
Triumph Register Technical booklet
Glovebox owners manual (the blue one)
TSOA Handbook, 2nd Edition
Glenn's TR Repair and Tune-up Guide

Also, complete NOS exhaust system (manifold back). Minor surface rust,
but never been on a car. Still had the mfg labels on them.

That's about all I can remember. The catch is, he wants to get rid of
the entire package and is not interested in parting out (I tried!).
Anyone who has the storage space might get quite a few parts out of
these two cars.

Anyway, as I said, too much project for me, but I'd rather see these go
to someone who could use the parts than to the crusher, or donated to a
charity, which would probaly send them to the crusher.

If you're interested, the owner, David Hopewell, can be reached at
DLHOPEWELL@email.msn.com

Good luck. And let us know if you decide to take the plunge.

Michael Ferguson
Vernon CT