Re: TR4 gauges

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: TR4 gauges
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:49:48 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Malcolm Walker wrote:

> tried out the fuel gauge sender.
> It seems to work OK, but only goes up half way.  I intend to clean up the
> contacts on the spade lug while I can.
>
> BUT I noticed that the gauge was moving even though I hadn't turned the
> switch on!  What gives?  Is it supposed to be hot all the time, or do I
> have a voltage leak somewhere?

I'd say so. The power to the fuel gauge should be switched with the
ignition. BTW, if you haven't seen it, issue #67 of VTR's _The Vintage
Triumph_ magazine has a great article called "Experiments with the TR3
Fuel Level Gauge"; a lot of the information in the article might be
applicable to your TR4 as well.

--Andy