skuttle vent

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: skuttle vent
From: Don Spence <spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:48:26 -0700
It is so called because it is a "vent" and it is located in the
"skittle".    ( The part of the body sometimes called the "cowl" at the
base of the windscreen.)
Hence the term "skittle shake" or "cowl shake" when describing the
movement of this area during spirited driving, due to the inherent
instability of this "peninsula" to which other body parts are attached.

As an aside I must say for a group so dedicated to British
automobiles... there is an astounding lack of understanding of them.
Could I hazard a guess that a lot of you on this list are younger than
your cars and as such are rather new to Triumphs, as opposed to the rest
of us old farts who grew up with them and thoroughly lived the heritage,
glamour and skinned knuckles.  :>')
Cheerio!