Re: U-Joints on my TR250

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Subject: Re: U-Joints on my TR250
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:07:17 -0400
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Stinocher, Bryan D. wrote:

> Had a small problem last night getting one of my u-joints out. Got half of
> it out, but not the other. Now it seems to be welded in. Do you install the
> u-joints on your own, or do you farm it out? It will cost me roughly $170
> total to get all of them done at NAPA. I figure that I can do some of them
> myself. Any special tricks to removing these buggers (they've been on there
> for 30 years, so I'm sure that doesn't help). I learned last night not to
> bang directly on the u-joint cap, but I'm not sure how you make them move by
> banging on the arms holding them in. Help?!

Bryan:

This is strictly my humble opinion, but I generally farm out u-joint
repairs, and if you were quoted $170 to do six joints -- or even four --
I'd take the deal.  A shop that specializes in drivetrain repairs, for
trucks, etc., may well be cheaper.

But this doesn't help with your current problem.

Banging on the yoke to remove u-joints is just your basic blunt-force
approach; you keep wacking until the needle bearings inside fall apart,
easing removal.  But the easier, much preferable way is to press out
the joints with a good vice.  Find a socket that is slightly smaller
than the bearing cup and use this to press in that cup.  On the
opposite cup, brace the yoke with a socket that is just
larger than the cup, allowing it room to extrude as you press in the
other.

Banging on u-joints can distort yokes, a bad and unnecessary
situation.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6