Re: batteries, washer bottles, and valances oh my!

To: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: batteries, washer bottles, and valances oh my!
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 02:41:58 GMT
Ryan writes...

>First the questions then we'll get to the free offer.
>
>1) Took out my battery tonight to investigate my battery box damage.
>The thing is pretty rusty, and rusted through on the corner closest to
>the engine.  I know you can buy boxes to go in there and I will, but
>before I install it how should I treat the existing metal?  I don't want
>to leave it rusting away there.  Unless I don't understand rust, it will
>keep on going unless treated, right?  Someone told me to make a box out
>of fiberglass but I would think you would need a rust free surface to
>start with.

You can:

Buy an OEM metal box and weld it in.

Buy a plastic box that is designed to fit into the existing one.

Or

Do something like what the PO of my car did...line the rusty box with
aluminum or fiberglass or something that will keep the battery secure
until you get more ambitious..  He did both!

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits