Re: batteries, washer bottles, and valances oh my!

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>
Subject: Re: batteries, washer bottles, and valances oh my!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Tom O'Malley wrote:

> Do something like what the PO of my car did...line the rusty box with
> aluminum or fiberglass or something that will keep the battery secure
> until you get more ambitious..  He did both!

I didn't like the idea of welding so close to the engine, so I
fiberglassed the battery box.  The DPO had shoved a piece of plywood (and
a chunk of carpet runner) in the void.

I used Rust-Mort (a phosporic acid compound) to treat the rusty parts.
Then I painted with black rust paint.  Then, the fiberglass got installed
(holes were patched with duct tape so that the resin wouldn't all fall
into the foot wells).  I used steel pipe strapping as "re-bar" to
reinforce the 'glass- and sheetmetal screws to hold them in place during
the cure of the resin.

Holds the battery up quite nicely.  I was also able to copy the ribs found
in the original sheetmetal (this lends strength to the f/g).  Also, I
don't have nearly as much fumage in the engine bay.

I have a TR4, if you're fixing a spitfire it's probably not much
different.  Beware of polyester resin fumes if working in a confined
space.  (For maximum comfort, get an organic vapor mask)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm