Re: Aftermarket Radio Suggestions?

To: Marty Silvestri <msilvestri@intelx.com>
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Radio Suggestions?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Marty Silvestri wrote:

> I just bought a 74 TR6 without a radio.  I am wondering if any listers
> have suggestions for which model of aftermarket stereo to install.  I am
> figuring on one with a removable control face, as I park the car with
> the top down most of the time (as though the vinyl would stop a
> determined 6 year old).

On my TR4 I have a Panasonic tape deck, the kind with 2 knobs on the side.
I think I will fasten a big steel strap around it to make it difficult to
remove.

As for loud, it's LOUD.  I use an 80W amp (in the trunk) and 6 speakers
(pair 5.5" in rear panel, pair 4" in footwells, pair tweeters in doors).
It can be heard quite nicely at 50 mph with the top down.  The speakers
are wired kinda funny though; a shop did it for the DPO so that the front
4" has got a capacitor on it (or maybe the tweets do- I just plugged em
back in), this "splits" the speaker signal so that you get low stuff going
to the woofer and squeaky stuff going to the tweeter.

All in all, it's a good system.  Not too easy to remove (unless you know
which bolts to undo :-( ), but don't let it sit for too long outdoors or
else the speakers will rust out and the belts in the tape deck will
perish.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm