FW: smoke

To: "'Buss, Grant'" <gbuss@PGRINE.com>
Subject: FW: smoke
From: gbuck@pinnaclegrp.com (Gordon Buck)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:46:09 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Grant,
The following is the version I have of the "New Smoke Theory Of Electronics":

A sheet of paper crossed my desk the other day and as I read it, realization of
a basic truth came over me.  So simple!  So obvious we couldn't see it.   John
Knivlen, Chairman of Polamar Repeater Club, an amateur radio group, had
discovered how IC circuits work.  He says that smoke is the thing that makes IC
work because every time you let the smoke out of an IC circuit, it stops
working.  He claims to have verified this with thorough testing.

I was flabbergasted!  Of course!  Smoke makes all things electrical work.
Remember the last time smoke escaped from your Lucas voltage regulator?  Didn't
it quit working?  I sat and smiled like an idiot as more of the truth dawned.
It's the wiring harness that carries the smoke from one device to another in
your Mini, MG , or Jag.  And when the harness springs a leak, it lets the smoke
out of everything at once, and then nothing works.  The starter motor requires
large quantities of smoke to operate properly, and that's why the wire going to
it is so large.

Feeling very smug, I continued to expand my hypothesis.  Why are Lucas
electronics more likely to leak than say Bosch?  Hmmm, Aha! ! !  Lucas is
British, and all things British leak!  British convertible tops leak water,
British engines leak oil, British displacer units leak hydrostatic fluid, and I
might add British tires leak air, and the British defense unit leaks secrets .
. . so naturally British electrics leak smoke.

>From the Auspuff of the Cascade Sports Car Club who credit Mr. Jack Banton of
>the PCC Automotive Electrical School.

Gordon Buck
Sultan, Washington