TR3 valve adjustment question and starter question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 valve adjustment question and starter question
From: "Coday Family" <coday@localaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:55:44 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Coday@Mail.localaccess.com>
The valve adjustment thread pops up just in time.

I am planning to adjust the TR3 valves this weekend.  It sounds a
little clattery under the hood the last few days.

Questions:  I am planning to adjust the motor cold, plugs out, will
advance the motor with the wrench on the generator, this should be a
chore, but hey, I thinks there are only four cylinders with maybe 8
valves, so I should be able to get to them all this weekend.   I was
planning to adjust to 10 thousandths intake and exhaust cold.  Does
this sound about right?

Also planning to clean the battery connections at the battery and
solenoid.  Cranking speed has fallen way off again.  Cranked real
fast the last time I cleaned the connections at the solenoid.

My starter has been hanging up and staying engaged after I quit
pushing on the dash button.  I can kick the starter back out by
turning the key off and back on.  That keeps the motor running, but
seems like a poor fix in the long run.  Is the problem more likely to
be in the pushbutton gizmo or in the solenoid?  Anyone else run into
this problem?

I figure I can jump the power around the pushbutton and see if the
starter still hangs up, if yes, that should clear the pushbutton and
on to looking at the solenoid.  Solenoid appears to be a sealed unit,
so that may be a challenge.

My best to all of you,

Mike/Geezer

59 TR3A TS52320L (every other daily driver right now)