More Stupid Questions on Valve Adjustment

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More Stupid Questions on Valve Adjustment
From: dmahlmeister@net-ex.com (David Mahlmeister)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 07:45:36 -0400
            Okay, now you guys have really made me nervous.  I've been
reading all the outstanding advice on valve lash adjustment and waiting
for someone to list a method I've been using for years.  I guess since
I've never seen it in print and don't recall ever discussing it with any
body, I was hoping it would pop up on the list to give it some
validity.  Since it didn't appear I think I better through it out here
and see if leaks any oil.  Here goes.

Before I do a valve lash adjustment I always set my timing to TDC.  That
way I know that when my number one is firing , both intake and exhaust
valves should be closed.  This is when I make my lash adjustment.  Then
I will remove the distributor cap and reference the location of the
rotor.  I crank the engine, usually by hand, and watch the rotor rotate
to a position where it will fire the next cylinder. In my case, since it
a tr6, this would be cylinder number 5.  Then I will adjust the lash on
this cylinder.  I keep turning and adjusting until I've done all the
cylinders then button things up and go for a drive.  I've always thought
this was an incredibly easy way to tell when your lifter was on the low
end of your cam which in turn would give you a point of maximum valve
lash.

Now I'm not so sure.  Have I been doing it wrong all these years?