Re: Wet Liner engine Q's

To: jgillis@tcd.ie
Subject: Re: Wet Liner engine Q's
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 05:37:51 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<<  have finally got around to stripping down the engine that came with my
 project car. The P.O told me that his P.O had fitted new liners and
 pistons. I took this information with the usual pinch of salt. Now that I
 have pulled it all apart it seems to be true. My first clue was no letter
 stamping on the top of the liner, and very little in the way of wear or a
 ridge at the top of the bore. When I removed the liner I was getting 1/10th
 mm difference between the top and bottom of the liner, so I guess these are
 fine to re-use. I punched the top of each liner before removing to locate
 them for replacement, should I rotate the 90 degrees as the manual suggests
 as an option?. The pistons have no makers name, and have four rings with
 the bottom oil ring near the base of the piston. They also have a wide
 split running across the piston rather than the thin split running at an
 angle as on the standard item (no pun intended). Anyone recognize these
 pistons. Should I replace the rings as a matter of course, will they be the
 same as the items currently available? Both pistons and liners are 83mm
 bore and I thought these were not available at this size?. I intend to have
 the crank ground and also modified for the later rear oil seal. I believe
 there are two types available, any advice here?. What is the standard
 method of removing all the crud in the waterways of the block?. Any other
 engine re-building advice very welcome.

 John Gillis
 1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
 1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
 Trinity College
 Dublin,
 IRELAND.

John
I got a set of AE pistons a few years back that were as you describe. I
suspect they are AE's.
Don't know about the rings, tho'. I would call suppliers and ask.
Does the block have cam bearings? If not you may want to check the wear. My
guess is it may be a good idea to have them installed.
You can get your block "boiled out" or "dipped" to remove debris. Check all
oil passages to make sure they're clear. Rotating the liners sounds okay, why
not?

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B