[Fwd: Re: Winter Storage / Oil Change]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Winter Storage / Oil Change]
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:03:16 -0700
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:52:55 -0700
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
To: Shawn Loseke <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Subject: Re: Winter Storage / Oil Change

Shawn Loseke wrote:

>  I have to agree with Gernot. From what I have learned, the additives do
> age. Those additives do not include preservatives. Hence the 3 months part
> of  3 months/ or 3000 miles, whichever comes first. I realize that this
> could be a ploy by the oil companies to sell more product. However; since
> oil changes are the cheapest form of preventative maintenance. There is
> absolutely no reason not to change the oil. When in doubt, there is no
> doubt. Change the oil.
>
> Shawn Loseke
> -------------
> Original Text
> From: "Egil Kvaleberg" <egil@kvaleberg.no>, on 9/28/98 11:39 AM:
> On 28 Sep 1998, Gernot Vonhoegen wrote:
>
> > If you change the oil you will have to change it again when you take the
> car
> > out of storage as the additives will have aged by that time.
>
> Oil additives aged significantly in 6 months? Won't think so -- they age
> and wear due to elevated temperature and stress in a running engine, but
> surely not very much in a stationary and (presumably) pretty cold engine.
>
> I'd go for the autumn oil change, and keep the oil in the engine untill
> the next autumn - depending on mileage of course.
>
> There will be some condensation collected during the winter season. But
> not enough to warrant an oil chance, I'd say. It should all disappear
> during the first long weekend trip, anyway.
>
> Egil
> --
> Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
> Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway

A very correct and informative answer, how can anyone not use preventive
maintenance for the price of a quart of oil.Unless I have missed
something in the last few years, cheap oil is still cheap oil, and no I
do not pour cheap oil in my cars driving or in hibernation, every book on
antique & classic cars clearly tells you change the oil before putting it
up for the winter, so please guys make all the excuses you want for or
against and the answer like almost everything else the right way is the
only way. Just my .02  "FT"