Engine Rebuild Tips For Beginners (TR6)

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine Rebuild Tips For Beginners (TR6)
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:09:26 EDT
Hello chaps,

I believe I am going to be facing an engine rebuild on my '76 TR6 this winter
due to the damage caused from my thrust washer problem.  My attempt to correct
the problem did not work and I am going to try one more trick up my sleeve,
but I have dim hopes for any future for this engine without pulling it,
replacing the crankshaft, and while I'm at it, rebuilding the whole thing.
Fortunately the only damage that has occured from all of this was to the crank
and main bearing cap (which can be repaired), and not to the block.

Since I've never performed a complete engine rebuild before, I was wondering
if any of you journeymen (journeypeople) might have some ideas that might help
make this rebuild for a first timer a little less painful. I figure there are
plenty of do's and don'ts out there and I'd prefer to hear about them before I
start tearing anything apart and placing orders.  I have the Haynes manual for
the TR6 and plan on getting my hands on one of the other manuals available,
and maybe some other tech articles that might be available.

Thanks,

Scott Helms
N. Indiana