Re: Engine Rebuild Tips For Beginners (TR6)

To: Trmgafun@aol.com, hakhutch@megalink.net
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Tips For Beginners (TR6)
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:26:22 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Things I learned or figured out during my first rebuild earlier this year:

Pick up Haynes and Bentley manuals.  It's good to have a second source.

Go to the library and get some books on engine rebuilding.  See what they say
and
what to watch for.

Read the assembly instructions before taking anything apart.

Take lots of pictures of everything while it's still together.  Take more
pictures
as you take things apart.  Take pages of notes.  Document what goes through each
location.  Sketch the routing of wires and cables.  Before you disconnect a
wire,
make a masking tape flag for it (write in ink).  It may seem obvious now, but it
won't when you try to put it back together.

Have lots of sandwich bags.  Place all the nuts and bolts from each assembly in
bag and use a permanent marker to label the bag.  Have a place to put everything
where it won't get disturbed or moved.

Don't put too much effort into cleaning the block.  I took mine to a local
machine
shop and they hot tanked it for $40.  I also let the machine shop do a valve job
and replace the guides.

Get some good measuring devices or plan on having someone else check all
dimensions.  Document all the measurements so you can compare wear during your
next rebuild.  Compare with specs.

Read the VTR web site maintenance section.  If you have a TR6 or similar, check
JB's TR6 page also (there is a link from VTR).

Find the local parts stores that have a tool loaner or rental program.  Why buy
$30 tool to use once when you can use it for free?

Give yourself twice as much time as you think you need and then allow for
schedule
slippage's.

If you doubt the quality of a part, replace it.  The part is probably cheaper
than
rebuilding again.

Get involved in you local Triumph or British car club.  Start looking at the
Chapters page at the VTR site.  Sometimes you need the help of a local person.

Be patient.  If you're stumped by a problem, sleep on it.  If it's still a
problem
the next day, call someone or send the list a question.

Don't be afraid.  If you are half way competent, you can do it.

It's nice to have an engine stand.  Easy to borrow, cheap to buy.

Have a second person to remove and install the engine.

Don't clean parts until you are getting ready to put them back together.

Use sealant on the freeze/expansion plugs.  I didn't and had to replace most of
them.  Fill the coolant area in the block with water and check for leaks before
you put the engine back in the car.

Replace the engine and transmission mounts.

Make sure the marks are on the timing chain gears.

Use a torque wrench and follow the specs.

Get a tube of assembly lube.  Put it on everything as you put it back together.

Have a list of everything you need to do.  Add things as you go along.  Don't
try
and remember to do anything.  (It's late, I'll put in the bottom starter bolt
tomorrow.)  Have a list for parts that you need.

Is you engine compartment in good shape?  It's much easier to paint without an
engine.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6