Re: Have been chasing the wrong item?

To: jaltman@altlaw.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Have been chasing the wrong item?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:32:17 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-29 18:43:06 EDT, jaltman@altlaw.com writes:

>  I turned my lights
>  off and the idle improved.  I turned the lights on, brights on, heater fan
>  to high and the engine start to stumble and nearly died.  Turned it all
back
>  off and idle jumped up and became much smoother.

Jim,

Put a voltmeter on the plus lead of the coil, and see what the voltage reads
when you turn on all the electrical devices you mentioned. If it's the
alternator that's the problem, you should see a fairly large voltage drop. If
the voltage stays fairly constant at about 14 volts or so, then your problem
is elsewhere.

If you only have a small voltage drop, you could have a combination of
problems - alternator and mechanical.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html