TR6 dashpots: preferred liquid?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 dashpots: preferred liquid?
From: johnw@wrq.com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:29:17 -0700
     I have heard all sorts of advice about what ought to go into the
     'carb's dashpots on a TR6, and I'd be interested in anyone's comments
     on what I've been doing.

     I use motorcycle fork fluids. Available in 5w-30w, these seem to give
     me the latitude to experiment. For example, I put in a fairly light
     grade to pass the local emissions test (flying colors, better than my
     wife's VW Cabriolet!), and to rich or lean the mix.

     Am I out of my mind doing this? I have rebuilt the carbs, but never
     got around to buying the high-falutin' approved dashpot oil. The worst
     part is that, even after rebuilding the carbs, I still continue to
     lose a small amount of dashpot oil over the course of time. Normal, or
     ? The rebuild went flawlessly...

     Thanks in advance
     jw