Re: TR6 dashpots: preferred liquid?

To: johnw@wrq.com
Subject: Re: TR6 dashpots: preferred liquid?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:16:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>     Am I out of my mind doing this? I have rebuilt the carbs, but never
>     got around to buying the high-falutin' approved dashpot oil. The worst
>     part is that, even after rebuilding the carbs, I still continue to
>     lose a small amount of dashpot oil over the course of time. Normal, or
>     ? The rebuild went flawlessly...
***************************************
I seriously doubt that the oil change would have any effect on emissions
test unless they were testing for acceleration enrichment, as the damper
oil has no effect on steady state running.
The oil loss however, is apparently a "normal" phenomenon as this has
happened even with the rebuilt Strombergs (and every Stromberg I have ever
used) on my 70 GT6, with pistons that have no o-ring, that is there is NO
hole that the oil can leak out of the bottom on this type of piston.  These
are the non adjustable jet type (yes they did make non - adjustable types).
 The piston on the diaphragm side is counterbored for the damper assy, and
the needle side is also counterbored for the needle.  It is NOT, I repeat,
NOT a drilled through hole as it is on all other Stromberg needle types.
The biased needle is held in place by a grub screw, and no adjustment is
possible.  There is NO o-ring, there is NO place for oil to leak through.
There is NO access to the needle from the diaphragm side of the piston. Yet
STILL, somehow, the oil mysteriously needs to be topped up every couple of
weeks of operation.  I am at a loss to explain where it is going, and as an
aside, This never happened to the SU's I had on the Spitfire, I could go
for month's even years without topping them up- Go figure??