RE:Value of a TR3

To: "'brgmgb@naplanet.net'" <brgmgb@naplanet.net>
Subject: RE:Value of a TR3
From: kurt oblinger <koblinger@linkline.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 21:01:58 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Don,

Just because its a California car don't assume it has no rust. California cars
can be every bit a rust bucket as those from other states. Ask me how I know.
At some point in time, late 60s through the 70s, TR3s were just cheap sports
cars and many were run on the cheap with a variety of bodge repairs. Look for
rust and bodged bodywork repairs in the front fenders at the bottom behind the
front wheels. Check the rockers, rap on them with your knuckle, do they sound
like sheet metal or are they more solid, like stuffed with newspaper and trash
bags and then slathered with 20 lbs of bondo. Look at the trunk floor. Look at
the floors, particularly where they join the rockers. Look at the front of the
frame. Are the frame ends bashed in. Look at the frame where the lower front
A-arms mount for bodged welding repairs. A small magnet can be useful in
detecting bondo, it will stick to steel but not to bondo. Be skeptical and take
along a friend to offer a second opinion.

Having said all this, there are some real gems out there still. Good solid cars
needing little work at reasonable money. And I just wish someone would leave
one for me!

Please report back!

Cheers,

Kurt Oblinger