RE: 2.0 to 2.5 to 2.7 liter

Subject: RE: 2.0 to 2.5 to 2.7 liter
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:41:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "Triumphs@autox.team.net" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Gordon Buck wrote:

> sixes on a common crank).  Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that as
> long as you make sure all parts are correctly balanced before assembly
> of a 2.7 liter inline six, it should be a sweet and smooth running
> engine. Just my .02.

Well, you can get a 5.0L inline six for your Ford full-size truck
(still!).  So it's not a problem with size.  Even fours can be pumped up;
the local public transit buses use a 4-cylinder diesel engine, must be at
least 4 liters (maybe less & it's geared down, not exactly sure)  But
that's a diesel too, so it's subject to different combustive and
compressive forces.

I think your biggest problem with trying to make the TR engine too big is
that you might run out of block casting.  The TR6 engine isn't that huge
to begin with (esp, compared to the Ford 5L six) so I don't know how far
you could go before having dangerously thin cylinder walls.

Then, of course, you could be like Dan Masters and just put a big whonkin'
V8 in your TR6.  Ta-daaa!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm

I wonder how smooth-running the prewar Dolomite straight-eight was?