Re: Headlights

To: rdaniels@snet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Headlights
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:22:38 EST
In a message dated 98-12-22 08:07:34 EST, rdaniels@snet.net writes:

> I followed up on a recent post and got a price quote (shown below) on these
>  headlights for a TR6. The question is, can the stock Lucas Alternator
handle
>  the overwattage (80/100 watt) conversion.

Bob,

According to the owners manual, the USA TR6 came with 50/40 watt headlights,
so you are adding 100 watts total load to the alternator with your new lights
(assuming you won't be running both the low and the high beams at the same
time, which some set-ups do), which corresponds to 8.3 amps.  During the life
of the TR6 production run, according to a variety of sources, there were
primarily four different alternators used: 15ACR at 28 amps, 16ACR at 34 amps,
17 ACR at 36 amps, and from Comm no CF1 on, 18ACR at 45 amps.

Your car should have an 18ACR, but it could have been replaced with an earlier
model at some time in its past, so you should confirm it before adding the
lights. An 18ACR 45 amp unit will be enough to operate the lights, but a 15ACR
28 amp unit may not if many other electrical items are on at the same time.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74