TR6 Run-on

To: millerb@netusa1.net
Subject: TR6 Run-on
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:17:20 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Jack Drews wrote:
>My newly purchased TR6 diesels after being shut off. .....

Now I know that I will definitely get flamed, get called silly and worse,
but.

>>>I have owned several vehicles, and I still do this to the day.  If every
10th tank of fuel you add a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (the cheap stuff,
$0.25 from Wal-Mart), it will keep the inside of your motor clean, burning
off the carbon and STOP IT FROM DIESELING!  First hand experience knows this
works.  People have told me that I will damage fuel pumps, O2 sensors (on
newer cars), fuel line, etc., but I have proved them wrong.  I had a camaro
that I got better than 450,000 miles on, that I did this monthly, with the
entire original fuel system intact when I retired the car.  My old Vega used
to diesel occasionally, when it started to do it, I knew it was time to add
the alcohol, when I rebuilt the engine (do to a blown head gasket), the
cylinders, valves, and heads were clean.  I would never recommend something
to anyone that I won't do myself, I don't know for sure why it works so
well, but I swear by it.>>>>>

When I lived in the cold country back East, I put fuel line anti-freeze in the
fuel to prevent ice formation in the fuel line.  I believe it was an alcohol
product.  Anyway, it didn't seem to help or hurt my LBC's system then, but I
haven't heard of using it to prolong the life of an engine.  I suppose it would
help keep deposits down, therefore less chance of run-on. But, common Isopropyl
(rubbing) alcohol is partly water, which seems to be a bad thing to have in your
fuel line.  That reminds me of my neighbor who usew toilet paper as an oil
filter in his pickup.  He never changed the oil, just the toilet paper and swore
he got 200K+ miles on his engine using this system.
To each his own, I guess! But, please folks, don't try this at home.

Richard Triplett
62 TR3...84K
78 1500...40K
85 XJ6....125K