RE: TR6 Run-on

To: "TR-Drews, Jack" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Run-on
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:35:55 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
>My newly purchased TR6 diesels after being shut off. I know this is
>because something in the combustion chamber is too hot and glowing and
>shouldn't be.
<SNIP>
>If I can fix it without removing the head I'd like to, but if I remove
>the head I'll have hard seats installed.

Jack,

I've had success decoking combustion chambers by using a water mister, a
hand pump spray gun like household chemicals come in, to shoot water
directly into the carb throats.  First warm the engine up and raise the idle
slightly, 1,500 rpm or so, then shoot in just enough that it seem like you
are getting close to stalling it out.  You don't want to shoot a stream of
water in, just a heavy mist.

I have used this method twice.  Each time I got some black smoke and ugly
black water drippings out of the exhaust, followed by the white clouds of
condensation. Others might suggest pouring diesel fuel or other stuff into
the engine, but I have had good success with just water.

Although......., in my youth, I poured a bunch of Marvel Mystery Oil down
the two barrel carb of my '72 Chevy Vega GT (great car!).  I knew the stuff
was good in the oil and in the gas, so I figured it would be great directly
in the engine too.  HA!  As the street began to fill with smoke, I headed
for the open road to burn it off.  There was no apparent damage, but I got a
whole lot of nasty looks, for several miles, until it was burning clean
again.  ;-)

Jack (I can't believe I told "the oil story" to the whole list) Brooks
TS69032L
Hillsdale, NJ
My car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph