Re: tr6 clutch question

To: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr6 clutch question
From: GERARD_WINN@HP-France-om9.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:00:55 +0100

     Hi Peter,

     I'm currently rebuilding the clutch system on my TR4. I think I may
     know what's up with yours. The symptoms would seem to point to the
     clutch release bearing sleeve - this is the brass (?) tube onto which
     the release bearing is pressed.

     Check out this website (all about TR6 clutches!). This was pointed out
     last week by a list member, Ken Brown. Thanks for this, Ken, I found
     it really useful:

     http://www.sarnia.com/obsolete/catalog/tr/6clutch.html

     Here's what it says about the sleeve:

     "The clutch release bearing is a press fit onto its sleeve. The inner
     surface of the sleeve must be in good condition. It must
     slide easily on the outer surface of the transmission front seal
     housing. However, it must not be excessively loose and worn.
     If its internal bore has become badly worn it may 'cock' and bind when
     you are engaging the clutch. This can cause severe driveability
     trouble. Replace the sleeve if it is in questionable condition."

     In your case, it sounds like the sleeve is binding as you release the
     clutch.

     Gerard Winn
     France
     '63 TR4