Re: TR6 OD question

To: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov
Subject: Re: TR6 OD question
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:54:38 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/2/99 2:17:54 PM EST, Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov writes:

<< In testing the A type OD I'm going to transplant into my good car I noticed
that
 the OD shifted into second gear fairly hard but it seemed to shift normally
when
 I engaged it in 3rd and 4th gear.  I was at around 2400-3000 RPM for all the
 shifts I think and I was just cruising along, not accelerating.  It was dark
and
 the lights on the gages don't work but that's what the RPM sounded like to
me.
 It disengaged just fine in all gears.

 Brad Kahler was brave enough to ride around in the rust bucket with me at
night,
 no top, no bonnet, in February, in Denver, and with a windshield you can't
see
 through at night (guess I should clean it).  He thought that maybe the lever
arm
 could be adjusted so it wouldn't shift so hard into 2nd.  Anybody else's A
type
 have a hard shift problem in one gear?  Suggestions?

 Other than that concern it seemed to operate well.  Now I'm trying to decide
if
 I should have the tranny and OD rebuilt before I put them in the good 6 or if
 should just do gaskets and seals to prevent leaks and go with what I have.
 Opinions on which way to go?

 Thanks
 Bud
 71TR6 CC57365
 71TR6 CC65446 (OD donor) >>

I don't think the gear has any effect on the OD. All it "sees" is RPM out of
the rear of the g-box. If your unit seems to engage a bit abruptly this is
probably a function of oil pressure rather than gearing. Don't believe there's
much you can do about it, short of a rebuild. I always try to engage OD whilst
accelerating as it seems to lessen somewhat the "slamming" into OD, at least
to me. These things are pretty robust and I have had no trouble with the
mechanicals on any of mine. Lots of problems with electrics - mostly relays -
though.
Make sure you adjust the operating lever to where the thing works, not
necessarily where the book sez it should be!
My .02
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B