Re: OD Operating Lever Adjustment

To: thefryes@iconn.net
Subject: Re: OD Operating Lever Adjustment
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:41:11 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/3/99 1:42:37 PM EST, thefryes@iconn.net writes:

<< A word of warning. I was flipping through the Moss catalog this afternoon
 and came across this:

 --- Moss quote start

 Overdrive Solenoid Failure

 Overdrive solenoids will suffer "meltdown" if the operating lever is not
 adjusted correctly. Refer to your workshop manual for details of the
 correct procedure for adjustment.

 When the overdrive switch is engaged, both solenoid coils are energized,
 causing the plunger to be pulled sharply into the solenoid. When it hits
 the top of the solenoid bore, the plunger opens switch "A", disconnecting
 the closing coil, leaving the holding coil to keep the plunger in position.

 If the overdrive unit's operating lever is maladjusted so that the solenoid
 plunger can not reach the switch plunger, both coils will remain energized
 as long as the overdrive is selected, The closing coil will soon overheat
 to the point of failure, as it was designed to be in operation for only the
 fraction of a second it takes for the plunger to open the switch and remove
 the closing coil from the circuit.

 ---  Moss quote end

 So, forget my post that said you can get away with adjusting the operating
 lever differently than the manual!   ;-)

Clarification: I meant that the manual says to line the hole in the operating
lever up with a hole in the side of the OD. Sometimes this isn't far enough to
engage the OD. You should adjust the lever position with the solenoid on, to
prevent the burnout described above.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B