Re: TR-4A - 4.28 rear end; what gives?

To: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-4A - 4.28 rear end; what gives?
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 07:52:53 -0500
Keith Edwards wrote:

>Yes, there was an optional 4.3 rear axle ratio available from Triumph
>for "speed" use.  I have that ratio in my former SCCA E/P TR3B.  There
>was another numerically higher ratio, as well.  4.55 perhaps.

Hi Keith,
     You're right - there was a 4.55 rear as well; that's what used to
be in my TR-4 autocross car.  I've also seen 4.88 and 5.13 rears for
Triumphs, but they may have been out of a truck rear end or something.

>I really like the 4.3 ratio for autocross.

The 4.55 really launches well, but you do have to do a fair bit of
shifting to use it well.  That said, I liked it well enough to go
to a 4.62 with my new rear end (not a stock Triumph part... <grin>)

cheers,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu