RE:Speedo for 4.10 rear

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:Speedo for 4.10 rear
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:54:46 -0500
Randall,

Indeed, It was me!  1325 is a very nice number and is in the right range.  This
is very interesting since it is not a whole multiple of 32!  In my limited
experience  I have only seen a 32 tooth worm-driven gear (later cars had a 20).
It looks like yours has a 25 tooth gear.  It would be VERY interesting to
get a look inside your speedo! OPen it up next time you have it out, and
count the teeth or turn the input shaft enough times for the pawl to make one
complete cycle.

The 1180 is for a 3.7 rear, and is also interesting in that it would appear
to have a 20 tooth worm gear.  I had only seen that in the TR6 line.

Needless to say, I need much more baseline onfo on the available calibrations
in the various model years!

Yes, Triumph tried to find the closest to the required calibration.  The
worm gear tells us how close together the calibration options come.  If you
have 25 teeth, you may have to be as far off as 12, off by 10 for the 20 tooth
gear.

It sounds like you are positive about those numbers.  If you are I will
incorporate this info in my speedo manual!

Do you have an OD with the 4.1?

-Tony
ARhodes@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes