oil pump rebuilds

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pump rebuilds
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 10:54:52 -0500
Just a cautionary note regarding oil pump rebuilding kits.

I purchased one for an engine rebuild and when I installed it in the
pump body it would not turn. I disassembled it and measured the length
of the outer rotor and found that it was .001 longer than the cavity. I
put the old parts back in.

Just yesterday I rebuilt another oil pump for a different engine. The
new rotor had a every poor finish on it and the o.d. had a number of
dings in it -- careless handling at the factory, I think. I carefully
dressed down all the dings but when I assembled it, it did not turn
freely. Even though I had the pan back on, I removed it, disassembled
the pump, and put the old parts back in, fearing that the pump might
sieze -- this has happened at the track to others with dire
consequences.

Soooo....if you rebuild your pump with new parts, be careful.
--
uncle jack
61 TR4 Rallye Replica Racer