oil pump rebuilds

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil pump rebuilds
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 16:41:06 -0500
Just a cautionary note regarding oil pump rebuilding kits.

I purchased one for an engine rebuild six months ago and when I
installed it in the pump body it would not turn. I disassembled it and
measured the length of the outer rotor and found that it was .001 longer
than the cavity. I put the old parts back in.

Just yesterday I rebuilt another oil pump for a different engine. The
new rotor had a every poor finish on it and the o.d. had a number of
dings in it -- careless handling at the factory, I think. I carefully
dressed down all the dings but when I assembled it, it did not turn
freely. I assembled it to the engine and spun it for awhile thinking
that it would start to work better. It did not. Even though I had the
pan back on, I removed it, disassembled the pump, and put the old parts
back in, fearing that the pump might sieze, since this has happened at
the track to others with dire consequences.

Soooo....if you rebuild your pump with new parts, watch the qulity
control or lack thereof on the new parts.
--
--
uncle jack