Re: Power Upgrades

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Power Upgrades
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:09:46 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Tom Di Iulio wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>      I'm interested in the collective's opinions on power upgrades for
> my 76 TR6. While restoring the car, i'd like to check into some options
> for increasing horsepower. The engine currently has dual zenith cd-175's
> (original equipment). Engine was running well prior to dismantling car.
>     Some ideas I'd be looking for would outline a
> priority/complexity/cost list for the car. In other words, what would be
> the cheapest/easiest upgrades (spark plugs?) to the most
> expensive/complex (supercharger?)? With the body off and the
> chassis/running train completely exposed, I have a great opportunity to
> make the changes recommended by the group, while keeping the car as
> original as possible. Thanks,
> Tom Di Iulio
> 1976 TR6
> Denver, Co

        Tom,

        Remember whatever you do, as the Scots advise "Gang warily" (go
        carefully). As you upgrade your car's performance, heading towards
        a "full race" set-up you degrade the car's practicality... It
        becomes less a "street" car.

        Consider the car as a system. You make it more powerful to go faster,
        think about upgrading the suspension and the brakes at the same time.

        Start simply. An expensive upgrade but possibly one of the smartest
        is to balance all the moving parts e.g., the crankshaft, flywheel,
        connecting rods, and pistons. This will allow the engine to turn
        higher RPMs. Bench flow the car's head to allow it to run more
        efficiently. Think about a hotter cam, possibly eletronic and
        ignition.

        Talk to Ken Gillanders of British Frame and Engine. Hes's one of
        the best sources for hotting up a motor. (626) 443-0939

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois